mischievoice

some poetry, politics & what have you

Saturday, October 25, 2008

coincidence? of course not. having spent a few days sporadically writing a review/engagement of/with christopher rizzo's playing the amplitudes i find (in an email update from goodreads) that brooklyn is at odds with the term experimental in poetry. my view on the subject is that i don't want to even imagine a poem that isn't, in at least a very basic sense, an experiment. as in ”will this work?” ”what happens if?” ”is this even remotely possible?” & so on & so forth. this, to me, is at the heart of writing poems instead of, say, political pamphlets, essays, diary entries, bumper stickers or whatever other form of more practically inclined writing you can imagine. rizzo works in what is known as an experimental tradition (a paradox perchance?) using it to write poetry that is stimulating, playful, fun, political & at times disturbing, as a good trickster would. adam fieled wants to wedge his writing in between the ”experimental” & the ”traditionalist” (his terms are ”post-avant” & ”mainstream”). i don't care much where on that spectrum my poems are, besides they're probably all over the place either way. in the rizzo book there is a sequence of sonnets. adam's when you bit... is a book of sonnets. engagements with both should appear in the next issue of eileen tabios' galatea resurrects. coincidence? probably not

2 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger Brooklyn said...

I'm at odds with lots of terms, Lars. :)

I enjoy reading work by poets who experiment... mmmm... 50 percent of the time. I enjoy reading work that is considered experimental in historical context... mmmm... 85 percent of the time. I still don't like it when poets call their own work experimental. Too often, they're only using the word to justify verse that they themselves haven't even finished processing. I can understand a poet experimenting with new methods, etc. Most of the time, those methods aren't new to the world, but new to the poet. But to me, that doesn't make the resultant poem "experimental."

I go round and round with my husband about this word. I tend to use it way-more sparingly, and only when hindsight's on my side. :)

Still- I remain open-minded and will try any poet at least once. Usually twice.

I love CR's e-book. Love it. I wouldn't really call it experimental, tho.

xo

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Lars Palm said...

i'm deeply suspicious of any poets who call their poems anything other than "poems"

nor would i call cr's e-book experimental in the popular sense of the word. but i think we may be rather alone in that

xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home